Jeff came down at six a.m. and I attempted to eat some cereal with him. Again, I was way too nervous and anxious to eat. I showered, finished packing my bag and then I heard Lily moving around in her room. When I went in to get her she greeted me with a big smile and said, “good morning Mama…..are you tired?” I guess I looked beat from my lack of sleep and nerves. I got her dressed and ready for Kim. She would be spending the morning at home with Kim and then the rest of the day at Beth’s playing with her best bud, Gabi.
Kim arrived at 7 a.m. and Jeff and I left shortly after. We had to be at the hospital by 7:30 and as usual we were running a little late.
Back at the hospital, Jeff and I got checked in and they hooked me up to the CTG machine to monitor Emma’s heartbeat and my contractions. Dr. Weiss came in around 8:15 and began the induction by placing a gel on my cervix. We were told to relax and give the gel time to work. They would check in with us over the next two hours to monitor my status and determine if labor was progressing. Over the two hours I had a few contractions and started to worry that it wasn't going to happen. The Germans incorporate a very natural child birth philosophy and would only give me more gel in six hours. After that, if nothing happened I would have to wait until the next day.
After two hours had passed (around 10:15 a.m.), our midwife Esther came in and said that we could walk around the hospital grounds for the next hour and a half and hope that the walking would jump start my contractions. Jeff and I walked around the hospital, visited the café for some yogurt and cappuccino and then walked around outside for over an hour. The hospital has beautiful flowers planted every where and the sun was shining, so it was a nice day to be outside. The weather was going to hit 80 degrees; it was an absolutely gorgeous spring day. The only negative...no air conditioning in German hospitals...yikes!
At about 11:00 a.m. while we were walking around outside, the contractions came and came quickly. Just like with Lily’s induction, I just needed a little jump start to labor. We went back upstairs to Labor and Delivery around noon and told Esther that the contractions were coming regularly. She suggested I take a relaxing bath to keep calm and help me breathe through the contractions. It was a perfect suggestion and I appreciated the relaxed atmosphere.
After the bath the contractions were coming regularly and I was in pain. Dr. Weiss said I had dilated a few centimeters and could have an epidural if I wanted. I of course said yes and they called the Anesthesiologist up to get me started. Unfortunately during the first try the catheter bent when it entered so they had to insert it twice….ouch! At this juncture, Jeff became light headed (he passed out while I was getting my IV with Lily) due to seeing me in so much pain. The midwife and Anesthesiologist quickly made him lie down and within minutes he was fine. Jeff truly hates to see me in pain; it actually makes him light headed. However, minutes after the second epidural I was virtually pain free. At this time it was two p.m. and my sister and Kim had arrived at the hospital.
So, from two p.m. until about seven p.m., I received regular shots of epidural and was able to sit comfortably with Jeff, April and Kim. Dr. Weiss checked me one more time at about 4 p.m. and told me that my water had broken. This was quite a relief because now we knew for sure that the baby would come that day. The actual labor was quite benign with the epidural. We all talked and joked and wished I would dilate quicker. I couldn’t believe how comfortable I was considering with Lily’s labor I was in constant pain (with out an epidural of course). My two cents if anyone is interested….get the epidural. It is such a better experience. Dr. Weiss went home for the evening, but told the midwife to call him as soon as I was ready to deliver.


1 comment:
okay, I know I'm an emotional time bomb at the moment...not only did you bring tears to my eyes but you also had me laughing outloud with the whole Jeff on the verge of fainting! :)
Congratulations again, we are soo very happy for the 4 of you. Another wonderful little miracle of life and how truly amazing our Creator is.
Thank you for sharing your precious story and new little Emma with us!
Post a Comment