Monday, July 14, 2008

Thoughts

I have no pictures to post of our fun filled family weekend, just my thoughts. We had a busy weekend as usual. We tried to squeeze in as many family activities as possible around Jeff's work schedule, all while catching up on outside (and a few inside) chores that I didn't get done during the week.

Saturday was an all day pool party at our neighbor's house, Jill and Rob. They have a pool and an amazing deck for hosting. We had great food and enjoyed getting to know all our neighbors. Lily was a complete FISH! We recently bought her a life jacket and she has instantly become fearless in the water. She swam for almost 3 hours straight. Around 7:30 we were packing up the kids and our neighbors daughter, Emma offered to babysit the girls so we could stay and enjoying some adult time. Jeff and I of course rushed home and put the girls to bed. They fell asleep in minutes. Then Emma arrived and we were off across the street to sit in the hot tub and enjoy a few drinks. It was truly a relaxing night. It was so nice to get to know all our neighbors. It makes me feel much more comfortable about Jeff leaving, knowing all the people that share our street. They all offered ( in one way or another) to help while Jeff is away. I'll also have lots of people keeping an eye on us. This is the first place we have lived that we are friends with all our neighbors. There is a real community spirit here, everyone looks after one another and there are just kids everywhere!

After Jeff got out of work on Sunday, we spent the afternoon at Ocean Breeze Waterpark. The kids love it there and Jeff and I love taking them. This time we actually spent more time in the adult pool, wave pool and larger slides. Lily is making SO much progress in the water. She even went under several times (a few by herself). Jeff and I took turns riding a few of the fast slides and we of course devoured some Coldstone ice cream.

I guess I wanted to journal this because all weekend I really made a point to slow down and enjoy the time with my family. When the four of us are together I feel so complete and happy. It's going to be really difficult when Jeff deploys. He is such an amazing Dad and husband. I always feel like we're a great team and can do anything with the kids when we're together. It's a feeling that is so hard to describe, happiness isn't even the right word. There will be such a void when he's gone. Although I am savoring this happiness, there is a looming sadness. I know in a few short months there will be no more Daddy weekends (albeit they are short right now, we still have him a little). Six months is truly going to feel like an eternity with out Jeff here. He'll miss so much with the girls and we'll miss him so much! So... no pictures this weekend. I just completely absorbed the time with my amazing family. I love you Lily, Emma and Jeff. I feel blessed and complete to be living the role as Mom and wife to the three of you. I am already wishing away this deployment so we can pick up where we are leaving off... just happy being together.

6 comments:

Cindy said...

Thanks for sharing:)

The Raymond Gang said...

Hey Irene, read your comment on the blog - thanks for the encouraging thoughts -- do you have an address we can email regularly? Ours is theraymonds@pivot.net. When does Jeff leave? Is he going to be on a ship? Gary is actually gone for 406 days :( but we're managing. It'd be nice to be able to chat and talk about what we're going through and get reaquainted, especially knowing Jeff from college, I think of you guys often. Anyway, you're right, it definitely makes you cherish the time while you have it. I'll be thinking of you all! ~Amanda

Linda said...

Wow, that was amazing. Team work is very important and Lee and I have tried to live our lives around that. I'm sure that it will be hard to have Jeff gone for those months, but you and the girls will keep yourselves busy and one month will lead into the next. Then the 6 will be up and you will know the sweetness of togetherness again.

benarinn said...

hang in there, irene. the worst times for me were before ben even left- the dread can really get to you. you're doing the right thing by not taking any time for granted and enjoying every minute together. keep smiling. :)

Jacquie said...

Your post made me think of not having John around for 6 months. It would feel like I was missing a limb, definately my other half, my best friend. We finish each others sentences and it is like we know each others thoughts.
I see my neighbors and friends without their husbands (there are MANY people deployed on our base) struggle at first and then get into their new routines, which helps. My friends keep busy, especially on the weekends, that seems to be the hardest time for them. I like to surprise them with a home cooked meal once in awhile! It sounds like you have some great neighbors to keep you busy on the weekends and to help out. Lots of scrapbooking:)

Bernadette said...

I know how hard it is, believe me. (Just found out that we'll be going through it all all over again very soon.) Things that helped were Skype and the webcam. That and keeping on a busy schedule/routine - always makes the day fly by. Am so glad that you were able to have quality time together before Jeff left. Hang in there!!

Much love and tons of hugs, B