Thursday, March 26, 2009

My Pity Party DD 170


(Warning....may be TMI for some readers!)


Usually I'm a glass half full kind of gal, but I'm struggling to stay positive these last few weeks of deployment! I've been having a very big pity party for myself, especially these last few days (which I think I deserve). For starters, I managed to blog/speak WAY too soon on Saturday. As I wrote a few days ago in my "Round 3" post, " Lets hope the flu is gone for good and Lily and I can avoid it!!" Well, I absolutely jinxed myself. Rounds 4 and 5 were on the way!!

The night after the race (which I was exhausted and in a dead sleep), I awoke at 3:30 a.m. to Lily screaming in her bedroom. I ran in to find her cover in vomit (sorry TMI). Yes, she too had caught the horrible flu bug Emma had last week. Before I could change the bedding and give her a bath, she was already getting sick again. The poor thing was at it until 6 a.m. and then on and off again for the next 24 hours.

Here comes the "pity me" part... I started feeling really bad the same afternoon Lily was sick. I was very nauseous and had all the symptoms (minus the vomiting), but knew I had to take care of Lily. However, I was a wreck. After no sleep, a full night and day of cleaning up after Lily and taking care of Em, I called in re-enforcements. Erin and Bea each came over to help with dinner and bedtime and then I was off to bed early. Lily and I both slept well and woke up feeling a little better. It was short lived. Lily managed to get sick ALL OVER MY BED!!!! I was mortified. Again...what did I do to deserve this (insert more pity for me here)? At least that was Lily's last time being sick.

So, Monday was yet again, another low key day resting on the couch and eating chicken soup. Em was back to herself and just running circles around Lily and I. By the end of the day Lily seemed back to herself and we all took a walk to get out of house. Cabin fever was eating at all of us and the fresh air felt good. I decided everyone HAD to be better on Tuesday. BOY DID I THINK TOO SOON!!!

The next morning I woke up and felt nauseous again. I refused to believe I still had this horrible bug and tried to ignore it. I showered, fed and dressed the girls and brought them to school. By the time I got back to the house I was hurting. Most the the 2.5 hours the girls were at school, I spent in the bathroom getting sick. Not only was I sick as ever, I was REALLY mad!! I only have 3 weeks left of this deployment and this is how it ends??!! I tried to pull myself together enough to go get the girls at school, but it was a VERY rough drive. Thanks to Erin (and her Mom) for driving the girls and I home from school. I literally couldn't stop getting sick. That afternoon Bea took care of the girls and then Michelle came to usher in the night shift. She even stayed the night to take care of us. I LOVE YOU LADIES!! THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!

SO....I am 2 days post sickness and recovering. A little weak today, but went out and ran errands and ate some solid food. Can't believe these final weeks of deployment...I am really working for this homecoming! 5 SEPARATE SPELLS OF THIS BUG IN 3 WEEKS!! I won't say much else, as I ALWAYS seem to put my foot in my mouth. I will say this, Jeff will be home in 17 days and they just can't come fast enough!!

4 comments:

Linda said...

That bug just doesn't want to give up on anyone!! I hope you are all feeling a little better every day. I know it took a while for me to feel back to normal again.
I'll be there for 5 of the 17 days that are left and hope to be of some help to you all.... See you on Saturday.

benarinn said...

irene.... your pity party was totally appropriate considering the circumstances!! good grief! that's just not ok. esp. when you're by yourself. i was always afraid of that happening when ben was gone... ugh. take it easy!

LeroyLime said...

OH my GOODNESS...hope you guys kick that bug right out the door and SOON! Feel better girl!!!

Bernadette said...

Oh Irene, I know what you're going through. It's nice that you have such good friends and family though. 17 days! It'll come soon. Hang in there.

Much love and lots of hugs to you and the girls.