Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Thank You

A personal request written by my cousin, Jerome Schorr, who proudly serves his country in the United States Army.

"This Tuesday, November 11th, is Veteran's Day. For most it means a potential 3-day or 4 day weekend. As you run your errands this weekend keep an eye out for those Vietnam, Korean, and what remains of the proud WWII veterans. Take a minute to say thank you, and then take an additional minute to ask an open ended question about where they served or what they did...and then wait a moment, look them in the eye to let them know that you are really listening. Give them the opportunity to share their story if they want to. I bumped into a Vietnam Veteran today and really did little more than offer my sincere thanks and a handshake for his service... What transpired was an hour long conversation that defined why I serve. The stories he shared with me motivated me, provided me with inspiration, made my day. I know my request was to provide thanks to a veteran, but I think you will be surprised at how much it does for you to see the warmth in their eyes.

Let me share one of his stories that really moved me...A couple of years ago he was approached by a woman who hugged him and welcomed him home thanking him for his service. When he stepped back looking a bit confused, afterall he's approaching sixty, retired sometime ago, and was wearing a Vietnam Veteran cap she looked him in the eyes and said "I don't think that you got the welcome home that you deserved when you first came back from Vietnam years ago".

One of the benefits I have experienced serving in the military today is an overwhelming support from the American people. That unfortunately hasn't always been the case. Take a moment this weekend and let them know that they are appreciated. My Sergeant Major made a similar request of me, well my entire brigade this morning, I make the same request of you. Happy Veteran's Day."

Happy Veteran's Day and thank you to all the brave men and women who have served our great country. Another thank you to all the families that stand behind them and offer support while they serve. Here is the beautifrul surprise I received today from my solider thanking me. I love you Honey.


2 comments:

Bernadette said...

Very touching and well done. And, the flowers are beautiful! :)

Linda said...

Beautiful flowers and a touching sentiment! Thank you for your family sacrifices.